In Baton Rouge, we tend to think of time around LSU athletic events. And rightfully so, as games at Tiger Stadium, the Box or the PMAC are some of the best times you can have. But there’s no need to wait around for the next game, we’re already in one of the best seasons of all: CARNIVAL! Mardi Gras in Baton Rouge may not get the publicity that New Orleans does, but the Red Stick doesn’t miss a beat when it comes to hosting this giant family-friendly party!
This Carnival season, follow our local tips for parades, costumes and king cakes and ensure your Mardi Gras earns the Mike the Tiger roar of approval!
Throw me something, Mister! These parades are fun for the entire family and are full of amazing floats full of amazing throws. This year, Mid City Gras rolls for the first time and will embrace a “go nuts” theme in honor of the many squirrels that call Mid City home.
– Friday, February 22, 7:00 PM | Krewe of Artemis Parade | Downtown
– Saturday, February 23 2:00 PM | Krewe of Mystique | Downtown
– Saturday, February 23, 6:30 PM | Krewe of Orion | Downtown
– Sunday, February 24, 1:00 PM | Mid City Gras | North Boulevard
– Friday, March 1, 7:00 PM | Krewe of Southdowns | Southdowns Neighborhood
– Saturday, March 2, 12:00 PM | Krewe of Spanish Town Parade | Downtown
Let’s be honest, if you’ve ever been to an LSU game, you may mistake it for a Mardi Gras parade. With everyone decked out in purple and gold and many wearing costumes, it certainly has a similar vibe. If you’d like to take it to the next level, visit these local shops this year!
– Carnival Mart | 8696 Florline Boulevard
– Party Paradise | 3546 Drusilla Lane
– Parties Start Here | 3150 Valley Street
From 12th Night to Ash Wednesday, it’s tough to stick to any sort of diet because King Cake is seemingly available everywhere, all the time. From grocery stores to the office break room, King Cake is…well, King this time of year. Our friends at Dirty Coast have a hilarious graphic that shows our consumption each Carnival season. For all your King Cake needs this year, check out these delicious local shops:
– Thee Heavenly Donut | 17732 Highland Rd. | 5830 S. Sherwood Forest Blvd.
– Calandro’s | 4142 Government Street | 12732 Perkins Road
– Oak Point Fresh Market | 14485 Greenwell Springs Rd.
– Randazzo’s (at Carnival Mart) | 8696 Florline Boulevard
Let us help you create the life you love in Baton Rouge. Contact a LOCAL expert today!